Sunday, September 23, 2012

IT'S AUTUMN

Well, it creeped up on me.  Autumn has arrived.  We took our last walk of the Summer on the San Clemente beach trail on Friday night.

For the past couple of weeks, we have had unbearably hot weather 90's to over 100 on a couple of days.  In fact, yesterday on the first day of Fall, it was in the mid-90's. I am worn out from the heat and am really looking forward to a trip with my friend, Michelle, to Santa Fe, Chimayo and Taos on October 2nd.  This is our annual trip to the Taos Wool Festival and a week of relaxation and stitching and knitting.  

I have been doing a lot of spinning lately -- and knitting -- tucked inside away from the heat.  This is one of Inglenook Fibers' batts that I plied with one of my handpainted rovings.
These two blue skeins were each spun using one of Blarney Yarns rovings and one of mine plied together.  I am using these two yarns in a shawl that I have almost completed -- the "Sakura" lace shawl by Leila Raabe from Brooklyn Tweed.


Another one of my adventures during the summer was attending Convergence -- the conference of the Handweavers' Guild of America.  Convergence was held at the Long Beach Convention Center this year.  How could I not go.  I was very excited to take a felting class with the amazing felt artist, Lisa Klakulak.  My friend, Pam, and I stayed at a hotel right across from the Convention Center. 

And a block away from the Convention Center was a beautiful little marina with lots of restaurants and walkways.
 It was nice to take a long walk over to Shoreline Park in the evening after dinner.
 A view back up towards the Convention Center from Pine Street Pier.  
My class with Lisa Klakulak was wonderful.  We made small felted vessels and each students' vessel was unique.  I learned so much more about felting and loved the class. Would take another class with Lisa in a heartbeat.




My vessel is the one up front -- chartreuse.  

That's all for now.  Next summer adventure -- Wayfayer's Wanderbook with the amazing India Flint.

No comments: