Sunday, September 06, 2009

HANDWOVEN SCARF #1
Well, I finished weaving the first scarf off the loom. It was 8 1/2" wide and 76" long when I took it off. I wanted to full (felt) it to make it shrink some, so I put hot water with Dawn dish soap in my laundry sink, threw the scarf in and began agitating it with my hands. I wrung it out, balled it up and threw it many times onto the counter. Here it is hanging on a rack drying.
After fulling and drying, the scarf ended up 5 1/2" wide and 65" long, and because it has lots of merino and angora in it, it is soft and drapey. Here are two photos, one with the flash --
And one without the flash.
Here's a close up that shows the little windows of Habu silk and stainless steel yarn that didn't full but puckered.
Tomorrow, the next scarf. Haven't decided what color of handspun to use -- maybe something darker, purples.

No comments: